Follow by Email

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Out with the old...RIP Argosy

Well, it's been a little while since I wrote a post - that's because a lot has been going on. We took two very short trips in the Argosy to test it out. Both were road trips only - no camping. The first one was to celebrate Nanny's (Jeff's Mom, Wanda) birthday. It was her 75th and we had a family picnic at Fort Mountain State Park in Chatsworth, GA.
The RV made it to the park, up a very winding mountain road. We had our doubts but it made it. There were a couple of issues including the air conditioner kept throwing the breaker and shutting off and the door started flying open when we made left turns. My Dad (Leo) ended up standing and holding the door shut for about the last 45 minutes of the trip there. Following the party, we returned home with no air conditioning and a bungee cord holding the door shut. Winner. By the time we got home, we were all soaking wet with sweat and miserable. Everyone came in the house and went straight to the showers. Nice.

The second trip was to Albany, GA to my folk's house. We were meeting up with my brother (Lee) and cousin (Rusty) to clean out our Granny's house so Rusty's daughter Amber can move in. The RV made it to Albany - Jeff had put in a new (used) air conditioner, so we had cool air on the way down - the only issue we had was an exhaust leak that caused blue sparks to fly from the rear (we sort of looked like a hip hop low rider.)

While we were there, my uncle (Bubba) took a look at the camper and one of the guys who works for him at his wrecker service did some welding for us. Aside from the bald and dry rotting tires, Bubba had concerns about the oil and water levels in the engine and the general wear and tear on the RV overall. Not to be discouraged, we headed home with Noah in tow...only to stop for gas (while still in Albany) to find that a part on the generator had blown - so that meant no air conditioning for the four/five hour trip home. Oh dear. Did I mention it's late June in Georgia? Thank God, we made it home.

The next day, Jeff took the RV into a local repair shop - but before he could get there - the motor blew up - literally - plumes of white smoke, brown fluid streaking from the chassis, and a loud sputtering marked the end of life for the 1976 Argosy. He was able to pull it off the road safely. After a fit of cursing and dancing and throwing a few things around - it was decided we would have to scrap it.

We sold it to a local auto salvage yard, who came and towed it and scrapped the metal for cash. Tear. I can't say I was all that sorry to see it go. What a nightmare. We've decided to find a newer RV with less repair/renovations needed. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! With those details added to why she was put down, hope you did RIP dance ;)